FORM NO. 28 for Notice of Demand for Payment of Advance Tax. FORM NO. 28 is to be used by any Assessing Officer as a notice of demand under section 210(3) of the Act for payment of advance tax in cases where, in respect of a person who has already been assessed by way of regular assessment in respect of the total income of the any previous year the assessing officer is of opinion that such person is liable to pay advance tax.
FORM NO. 28
[See rule 38]
Notice of demand under section 156 of the Income-tax Act, 1961 for payment of advance tax under sub-section (3) or sub-section (4) of section 210
This is to give you notice under section 210 of the Income-tax Act, 1961, that the sum of Rs.
as specified in the enclosed order has been determined to be payable by you during the financial year
2. The amount is payable in two installments as mentioned in the Table.
Due date of installment
On or before the 15th December
|Not less than fifty per cent |
of such advance tax.
On or before the 15th March
|The whole amount of such advance tax as reduced by the amount, or amounts, if any, paid in the earlier installment or installments|
The amount is payable to Manager, authorised bank/ Manager, State Bank of India/Reserve Bank of India at
When, if the amount is paid, you will be granted a receipt Challan(s) is/are enclosed for the purpose, in which you should enter the amount of each installment at the time of payment.
3. If at any time before the 1st installment as aforesaid is due, you estimate that your income subject to advance tax for the previous year relevant to the assessment year commencing on the 1st day of April,
, is less than the income on which you have been asked to pay advance tax as above and accordingly you wish to pay an amount less than the amount which you have been so required to pay you may send to the Assessing Officer in Form 28A reasons for the lower estimate made by you and enclose an estimate of the advance tax so payable on such income calculated in the manner laid down in section 209 and in that event you should pay such amount (less any installment already paid in accordance with paragraph 2 of this notice) as accords with your estimate in such proportions on such dates specified therein. For this purpose you should enter in the appropriate challans the amount payable according to your estimate. You may revise the amount payable at any time before the last installment is due and may adjust any excess or deficiency in respect of the installment already paid in the subsequent installment.
4. If in your estimation, the advance tax payable on your current income exceeds the amount of advance tax specified in an order of the Assessing Officer under sub-section (3) or sub-section (4) of section 210 or as intimated by you under sub-section (5) of that section, you will pay on or before the due date of last installment specified in section 211, an appropriate part or, as the case may be, the whole of such higher amount of advance tax according to your estimate.
5. If you are liable to pay advance tax under section 208 and have failed to pay such tax or the advance tax paid by you under the provisions of section 210 is less than 90% of the assessed tax, you will be liable to pay interest according to the provisions of section 234B. If you have failed to pay the installments of advance tax by the specified dates, interest will be charged as per section 234C of the Income-tax Act, 1961.
ENCLOSURE TO FORM NO. 28
Order under section 210 of the Income-tax Act, 1961
|Name of the assessee||District or area|
|Status||Permanent Account Number|
1. Total income on the basis of which regular assessment has been made/return of income has been filed by you, for a subsequent year, being that for the year
|2.||Income subject to advance tax.||Rs.|
|3.||Net agricultural income, if any, to be taken into account for purposes of computing advance tax.||Rs.|
|4.||Gross income-tax chargeable on ‘income subject to advance tax’.||Rs.|
|5.||Sums included in ‘income subject to advance tax’ in respect of which income-tax is not payable or on which a rebate of income-tax is admissible-||Rs.|
(i) Share of income from an association of persons or body of individuals or an unregistered firm on the profits of which tax has already been paid
|(ii) Interest on income-tax free securities||Rs.|
|(iii) Other items.||Rs.|
|6.||Total amount on which tax is not payable and the proportionate tax on such an amount||Rs.|
|7.||Deduct : Tax which is deductible under sections 192 to 195 on any income (as computed before allowing any deductions admissible under the Act) and which has been taken into account in computing the ‘income subject to advance tax’||Rs.|
|8.||Net amount of income-tax||Rs.|
|9.||Less : Amount on account of estimated double income-tax relief, if any||Rs.|
|Less : Tax already paid in the financial year under section 210 in compliance|
with the previous notice of demand served on
NET AMOUNT OF TAX PAYABLE
|Total sum payable (in figures as well as words)|